There are many issues facing Georgia’s school library media specialists. Your opinions matter and, through your membership in the Georgia Library Media Association, your voice will be heard.
GLMA has a history of service to school librarians/media specialist that dates back to 1930. Through its members, GLMA provides information and opportunities from governmental issues to professional development.
Regular Member $40
Media Support Personnel $15
Retired Member $15
Student Member $12.50
Click here to join GLMA today!
PERSONAL: As a member you will enjoy registration discounts at the media specialists premier event of the year: Summer Institute. This program helps media specialists expand their skills and offer opportunities to network with other great media specialist in the state of Georgia.
As a thank you for joining GLMA, Capstone Books is giving each new or renewing member 5000 reward points to be used towards a purchase. Information on how to claim your reward points will be emailed to you upon joining or renewing with GLMA.
ORGANIZATIONAL: GLMA is the only organization with lobbyists focused on the needs of library media specialist in Georgia.
Our lobbyists do the following…
- Attend hearings and education committee meetings
- Advise us on how to effectively interact with legislators
- Testify on our behalf at hearings at the capitol
- Lobby for increased funding
- Understand the complexities of the political process at the state capitol
- Monitor proposed changes by the Professional Standards Commission
- Send us alerts from the capitol
- Use their connections to educate legislators about the importance of school libraries
WHO ARE GLMA MEMBERS?
- School library media specialists
- Coordinators of school library media services
- School library media paraprofessionals
- Library media educators
- Students in state library media programs
- Representatives of library media related companies
- Other persons interested in promoting excellence in school library services
GLMA should be YOUR professional organization! The more involved you are, the more you benefit. GLMA needs your ideas and expertise as it continues to grow and develop. Join now and take an active role in making Georgia’s school library a top educational priority!
WHAT DOES GLMA DO FOR ITS MEMBERS?
GLMA represents your interests in an active liaison and advisory role with other state library media organizations and with national and regional professional organizations.
GLMA gives school library media specialists a voice in the Georgia legislature and the State Board of Education through the Governmental Relations Committee, the GLMA Executive Office, and through the networking of other GLMA members.
GLMA supports your professional development by keeping you in touch with current trends and issues in the profession.
GLMA provides an opportunity for you to be directly involved in your professional organization through holding office, serving on committees or task forces, presenting at conferences, district meetings, and workshops.
GLMA recognizes professional excellence by presenting awards for outstanding service.
GLMA provides grants to its members to facilitate the development of new and innovative programs within their schools.
- Library Media Specialist of the Year Award
- Intellectual Freedom Award
- Mable Wyche Mini-Grants
GLMA Membership Benefits
- Opportunity to serve on committees and task forces that reflect the special interests of school library media specialists
- Annual Summer Institute for professional development
- American Library Association (ALA)
- American Association of School Librarians (AASL)
- International Society for Technology in Education (ISTE)
- Georgia Association of Educators (GAE)
- Georgia Council of Media Organizations